Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Temporary hold

Once in a while you need to take stock of where you are. Sometimes you come to a conclusion your happy with other times, you realize that other choices have to be made. Right now for me I'm very content with my decision and things are progressing in a way which will be in the long run best for my sanity both on and off the bike.

Last year about this time I was racing and training with long miles. There was no summer break for me. Dakota 5-0 was looming, I was excited and enjoying riding. Then after D 5-0 I struggled, the race left me fatigued for a couple weeks. I almost didn't start racing cyclocross. Slowly, steadily I crawled my way back and finished really strong at the end of the CX season and managed to carry it over into the spring this year.

This year, I've felt good ridden strong and been for the most part motivated to race and train. Then in june after Norfolk I took a two week break. I went to the Ponca XC race and didnt' take part. The line of questioning from everyone as to why I wasn't racing was an interesting experience. At the end of the day I stand by that decision as I was totally OK mentally with not racing for a change. Then I went to ABQ and just enjoyed riding. Riding with Becky, riding with friends, and riding by myself. All good times and it reminded me of why I love mountain biking so much. Just like racing, its all about the experience and having fun.

So now July rolls in and so does the hot weather. The Nebraska calendar is light for the next month or so. I toyed with racing the CSG. I've also toyed with the idea of racing the Big Ranch Enduro. But instead I've decided no racing just riding until D 5-0. Now I know I won't have that top end for  D5-0 I might have had last year. But really I'm just doing it for fun anyways. So basically my road and mtb seasons are over. I can't really explain it, its not a mental or physical fatigue issue. Right now I just want to ride my bike and take some photos.

From here on out it'll be more about CX season. For now, I'm taking stock of things, riding my bike, and enjoying it. I've been loggin good summer base miles, my fitness is good. And soon I'll start to ramp things up a bit more. So don't expect that because I'm not racing I won't be around. I'm going to try and pop into some of the races to take photos. And surely I"m still out riding. CX practice will be starting in a few weeks and I'll be out there.

So for now, cheers

No comments: