Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cashing out my chips!

So as everyone on facebook is aware I crashed out at Dakota 5-0 this last weekend and ended up in the E.R.

So before I go further thanks to all those who sent their support and well wishes for me.

Now as I move forward, I've surveyed the damage from the crash and the quick answer is I'm pretty beat up. Here's the run down:

Separated right shoulder
Bruising to right shoulder
Bruising to ribs on right side
Road rash on back of my right shoulder
Strained (whiplash) to my neck on both sides

Now in the aftermath, the shoulder bruiding and road rash are merely a nuisance. The separated shoulder and bruising to my ribs are much more problematic. The shoulder and ribs may take up to 8 weeks to fully heal. Right now even coughing, sneezing, and laughing hurt and getting out of bed in the morning is a chore. Seriously damage your ribs and see how difficult your life becomes as you use your core constantly. It may be a couple of weeks before I'm back to riding, let alone with any real speed.

That brings me to my decision, I'm done for the season and no cx racing this year. I want to fully recover and let my body heal the way it should. Racing, let alone riding off road places quite a strain on the body. Shouldering a bike, run-ups, and power could be problematic for my shoulder. With the season literally around the corner I see no reason to push to hard or rush to race only to risk further injury.

So instead, i'll be out heckling from the sidelines and taking pictures. Its been a fun season for me and probably one of my best up to now. I'm a little bummed but these things happen and its the risk you take everytime you race a bike. So I'm going to cash this one out and call it a day.

No comments: