Friday, November 4, 2011

Mid-Season CX Report..."Once your up your up, once your down, your down..."

So, its been a while here's a quick run-down of the season so far...its been a season of highs and lows....so quick run through...

Omaha CX Weekend (Swanson Park in Bellevue, NE):
Day 1: I was coming off yet another sinus infection (5 this year) and unsure about progress. I started hard behind Kevin Limpach but started to fade in the cat 3 race mid-way through. After recovering a bit mid-race I managed a strong finish and came home in 8th.

Day 2: I woke up feeling so so but headed down anyways. Again I got a good start about 3rd wheel sitting right on Kevins wheel again. He bobbled in the sand and I fell back to 6th-7th. I rode aggressive for the next lap and half though and chased back to 4th and was sitting right behind Dave Randleman as we started lap 3. Feeling better and better I realized we had Limpach and the other leader in our sights. Shortly there after though I flatted on the drop in down by the baseball fields. Game over. Luck was not on my side this day.

Cattle Cross and Morgan Cross (Iowa):
The weekend following Omaha, Kevin Murray, Vaughn Pierce, Mike Miles, and I rolled over to Iowa for a couple of races. I wasn't sure how I was going to do (again) as I had been away on business Monday through Wednesday and also had a very nasty bout with food poisoning for most of the week. I decided this racing would be for fun and see how it goes.

When we rolled into the venue for Cattle Cross in Marshalltown one thing became apparent, there would be mud and it was manmade. Seriously Iowa, WTH. Anyways as I was warming up, I avoided the mud at all costs just to make sure pre-race cleanup wasn't required. There was a nice combination of technical turns, and use of the natural terrain to create a course that was fast but didn't favor power riders at all. There was a tricky technical bit on the back side of the course that was off-camber and had to be taken at very low speed. You came into this corner hot and had to break carefully into it. During warmup, I tried to see how aggressive you could take it, unfortunately I came in too hot. Bike slid out from under me. I fell hard on my left side and skidded in the grass/gravel. Left elbow/forearm and knee were torn up. The worst part though was my right hand which somehow got tucked under me when I fell. My thumb was numb which quickly changed to seering pain. I rolled back to the car and told Mike and Vaughn about my elbow and hand. Decision time, I cleaned up my wounds and inspected my hand. I decided to race but it would be iffy as braking was painful.

On to the race, I got a good start but fell to mid-pack. I was racing conservative with my hand not wanting to fall again. After getting through 8 laps of 12 I pulled the plug the pain was no unbearable in my hand and I couldn't hold on to the bars any longer.

The next day we rolled over Cedar Rapids for Morgan Cross. I was iffy for the day. My hand had swelled over night and was very sore. (side note Mike and Kevin had offered to take me to an ER that night..thanks guys but nah). After seeing the venue I decided to give it a go, it was a great course. Astonishingly during warmup I did find I could actually brake, shift, and hold the bars with my hand. So with that I jumped into the open race. After a so-so start (again timid not wanting to fall on my hand) I felt raced aggressively for a few laps. Mid-way through though the effects of fatigue/travel/stomach bug caught up and power just went to nothing. I rode within myself just to finish the race and got 13th out of 20. Not bad, not great.


Oakley Night Cap Cross (Iowa):
Last year I did this race with Stamper. We had a blast but it was a very late night being on a friday. This year, being on a Friday allowed for mid-day rest to make sure I could be awake the entire time.  Rolled over to DSM in the Trek Midwest Shortbus (thanks Mark for driving). The venue was awesome again and now with some extra length and lighting on course. Well done Oakley and Mullets.

After a 20ish minute warm-up I rolled over to staging for the 3's race. Unfortunately I realized everyone else in DSM stages about 30 minutes prior to the race. So that meant lining up in the back of a 36 man field. Again WTH Iowa...staging 30 minutes before a race. Anyways, the course was a bottleneck on the start so I had to ride aggressive. From the blow of the whistle I was on the gas for the next 45 minutes. I quickly discovered where my prime passing points were. I was making passes out braking where I could in all the technical corners, and making passes on the levee and back stretches. With two laps to go I was sitting 8th with 7th in sight but I slightly bobbled the remount after the hill run-up. I fell back to 10th and thats how I would finish. Happy with the result but really felt with a better starting spot 1st or 2nd row could have meant good things that night. On a positive note this was my first race with my TRP CX-9 mini-v brakes. With the power of those brakes I was really riding aggressive in the corners and braking way later than anyone. I made half my passes under braking that night.


Flatwater Twilight Series races 3 and 4 (Lincoln):Race 3: For this race I rolled down to LNK with Mike Miles. I entered the B race for this night. Mike and I showed up with just enough time to register and ride half a lap (I was unsure even where the barriers were).  Front row lineup with Jonathan Neve. I took the holeshot but then settled down to avoid crashing since I didn't know the course. The corners near the pinetrees about had me end up in the tree but managed to keep the lead. I battled with someone in a war axe kit for the lap but kept on the gas to keep him behind me when I could. After lap 1 I noticed he was gone but Neve was catching back up. By the end of the switchbacks on lap 2 he was on my wheel. We rode together for the next 1.5 laps. I noticed I could power out of the corners quicker than Neve could but he was taking the turns much better (course knowledge helps). With 3 to go I saw someone in a UNL kit gaining ground. Slightly worried about a 3 man group I gassed it hard. I solo'ed away from Neve and got a better gap. I kept on it for the next 2 laps and came home with the win.

Race 4: I entered the A race. Mike and I showed up with enough time to preride a bit. I lined up near the back (late to staging again). I rode really aggressive on the start and made passes working my way up to near-18th or so from the back of the 30ish man field. I rode aggressively and then settled in. I was leading one of the chase groups with Rafal just a little ways up. The group slowely wittled down to just 3. I fought to stay in the lead of the group to control the pace. Again I wasn't fast in the corners and didn't want anyone gapping me off. With 2 to go it seemed Rafal was coming back into reach and I picked up the pace. With 2 to go, luck would again strike and I rolled a tubular in the final switch back on course. Game over...again.

Midwest CX Twilight Series race 1: (Omaha):
And finally this brings us to this week. Trek Midwest CX was hosting a two race add-on to the Twilight series in Omaha at Seymour Smith Park. All week the forecast was getting worse and worse. At 9am that day I had to run to my car. After feeling the weather I had pretty much decided I was not racing. Frankly I hate cold and wet. I just don't like it. However, knowing myself I still went home and though and put the mud tires on the bike and added extra lube to the chain. I also picked up the Castelli Neoprene gloves I'd put on hold at the Trek Store (side note: I've been looking for good neoprene gloves for over a year). After chatting with Ryan Feagan after lunch I decided I was obviously still in and sure enough the weather started to improve somewhat.

I over packed for the race, thermal warmup tights, castelli thermal jersey, extra socks, rain jacket and rain pants. Before leaving the house I put on two coats of Medium Embrocation, then pulled my tights and jersey on. On the way to the venue the embro kicked in. I kitted up in my rain gear and started spinning the course. The rain gear was perfect as it kept all but my feet dry (best decision I made). At race time I lined up next to BR and Shim on the second row. I got a good start and rode aggressively. Mid-lap 1 Rafal made an aggressive move and threw and elbow or two my way and then forced inside on a corner. Not one to give up that easily I did the same on the very next corner. Good times. (BTW Rafal has been my top nemesis on Cross Results). After a couple of laps I found myself in  pretty tough group of Dave Randleman, Rafal, and BR. I knew each of these guys would be tough to beet. BR and Dave were setting a good pace, although Dave kept missing corners. After trying to make a couple of moves I settled to the back of the group to watch and see how it would go. Mid-race BR got a gap and I was getting worried it would stick as it seemed neither Rafal or Dave had quite the power to close it back up. Not wanting him to get away, I jumped around Rafal and Dave after the barriers. I got most of the way across and realized Dave and Rafal were charging back to me. Shortly there after we were all back together again.

With a couple of laps to go the course was getting slick. I was starting to worry about the endgame since it seemed none of us really could get away from the others. Then, Dave went down in the first corner, shortly after Rafal would go down. I charged by Rafal and got up to Dave and BR. With 2 to go it was just the three of us. Then boom I went down in the one of the muddy corners. Rafal Caught me back. I rode his wheel for that lap and saw Mark was closing in. Not wanting to get lapped with 2 to go I rode hard hoping to stay upright. The bike was fishtailing though. with just a few corners left I went down again. Mark went flying by. So I rolled across the finish line behind him (I stayed far enough back that if anyone was taking pictures I wouldnt' be in it). 15th for the night. BR ended up getting Dave in the end. It was a fun race.

So now its off to KC this weekend for Boulevard Cup then next week its Race #2 in the Midwest CX Twilight Series. Hoping for good results this weekend.

Cheers!





No comments: