Monday, April 11, 2011

Swanson Marathon Race Report (1 week late)

Ok not much to tell here. On saturday I helped the MWCC with setup/running/timing & scoring at the Jewell Jam TT and Swanson STXC.  Sunday, I arrived early got setup and ready to rock in the Marathon. I felt good had a nice steady warmup and legs felt rested.

At 10am the marathoners were the first to go. On the starting sprint I heard a pop and that was the start of the end of my race.  The pop was the sound of one of my chainring bolts coming lose or breaking, I dunno. I entered the woods 7th wheel behind Andy Keffer. After a minute or two I was able to get by and start working on catching the lead Group of MG, Winkelpleck, Lucas, Bartels, Brunt and RD.

Shortly after getting by Andy though i noticed a rattling from the drivetrain (more signs of impending doom). Then in the first drop my chain jammed (b/c my chain rings weren't staying in place). On lap 2 I caught RD but the rattling was getting progressively worse. I stopped multiple times to check and couldn't see the problem. At the end of lap 2 I grabbed a bottle and took note of the drive train. I saw the problem, 2 chain ring bolts gone. I didn't notice the other 2 working themselves loose also.

I headed out on lap 3 knowing my time on the bike is limited and I'm not going to make it to three hours. I settled in with RD who was feeling under the weather, babying the bike hoping to survive one more. On the final climb my day came to an end.  RD would pull out 1 lap later with busted spokes. Fortunately for the MWCC marathon guys, Lucas and Bartels both had great days with Lucas taking the overall.

Looking forward to some more dirt racing in the coming months.

J

No comments: