Thursday, January 6, 2011

ON Being Paleo...Part 4: Favorite Snacks

So its been a while (even though I said it would be a frequent series) since I posted something about the paleo diet. So I thought I'd jump in mid-week and throw out a few of my favorite paleo or what i loosely call paleo friendly snacks since they don't meet all of the paleo requirements but are close. So without further ado, here we go...are you ready...ok

Paleo Snacks:
Nut mixes - mainly any combination involving unsalted almonds, pecans, macadamias, and pistachios
Clementines
Raspberries
Turkey Jerkey (a little high in salt content but i'll call this one paleo)
Cocoa Nibs (hard to find in omaha)
Guac
Salsa
Sweet Potato Chips

Paleo Friendly Snacks:
Tamari roasted almonds (these are pretty much paleo but a little high in salt)
Dark chocolate covered cocoa nibs (almost paleo it adds some refined sugar and chocolate but its marginal)
Organic blue corn tortilla chips (unsalted is best and the only cheat here is the corn/masa which should be taken in moderation because the corn starches cause insulin spikes)
Pepperoni and/or Proscuitto (a nice little afternoon snack but high in salt - so best kept in moderation)

So, on any given day I try and keep quite a selection at my desk so I always have variety to snack on. That way keeps things interesting and I get a variety of nutrients into my body. Today, I have a large assortment of nuts, some clementines, and sweet potato chips.

Enjoy

J

No comments: