Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dakota 5-0 Race/Ride/Tour

Well, this was the year I finally went to So-Dak with the midwest crew. I'd been hearing Mark, Ryan, and Rafal talk this race up for a while now. None more so than Mark. Anywho, last Thursday I bid goodbye to Becky, and sped off with Mr. Miles to join the rest of teh MWCC Shortbus Crew for our journey NW across So. Dakota. After a brief respite on Thursday night, we rolled into the camp in Spearfish SD.

Now let me just say, I've camped before, but this was by far the best camp ground I've EVER been too. Anyways, with quick efficiency, the entire crew set about unloading the Shortbus and establishing camp. We were on a mission: setup camp,  pre-ride, eat, relax.

At about 430 we rolled out of camp for the first of 2 pre-ride sessions. I wanted to see the infamous gravel road climb and lollipop single track climb I'd been hearing about.  For me the goal was simple, test the lungs, see the course, don't over due it. I new the first 25 miles are mostly uphill with some steep pitches. So while the likes of MM and RF set about their weekend duel, I was content to spin and steadily raise the HR. First time up it the climb seemed long, and my lungs were searing from the recent cold I was still recovering from.  My general reaction after day 1...I think I have a new favorite trail.

Photo Credit: Heather Wolff
Day 2 began with a burritto and coffee. A mid-morning session on the bike up and down the gravel road/lollipop climb revealed two things, my lungs were steadily healing and that my bike continues to resist my need to race it. With less than 2k to go on the single track descent I ripped off a knob on the rear tire. No sweat, the Rushmore Bikes came through in a pinch. Dropped off the Taurine and 1 hour later..presto, brand new rubber on the rear wheel.  The rest of the afternoon was spent deep in race preparation mode contemplating what was to come the following morning.

Race Day! After a somewhat restless night, I awoke at 520 and rolled into the coffee shop with Mark. Race fuel and high octane coffee snapped me from my pre-dawn funk.  I rolled back to camp alert and excited for the next few hours suffer fest. At 7:10 I roll over to stage and find myself a spot with Team Wolff, and Rafal. The sun finally starts to show itself at 7:20 just as we prepare to go. The sun immediately begins to warm the sub 60 degree temps and offers a taste of what I would be feeling in just a few short minutes time. 7:30 and we are rolling. There is one thing that has been on my mind all weekend, don't get caught up in traffic at the top of the gravel road climb...but don't blow up either. With that we hit the gravel road and I begin turning the legs to make up positions. With every pitch I accelerate my pace keeping just below the red zone. By the time we hit the top of the gravel road I've caught up to MM with Rafal in tow. Good job I tell myself..now lets rock it!
Photo Credit: Heather Wolff

For the next 45 minutes, I follow Rafal and Mike as we make our way through single track and around slower riders. I quickly notice that the first hour has held me just below a nice steady XC pace. No red zone, but not exactly easy either. With that, Rafal and I blow through Aid 1. I hear a guy with a radio call out we are top 60. Holy crap, I hope I don't blow up.

On to Aid 2 we roll and the mid point of the race. Mid-way between Aid's 1 and 2 we catch MM again. We would roll into Aid 2 together. At this point I'm feeling good, but am starting to notice a burning in my lungs. The previous 2 weeks of head cold, lingering congestion, asthma, and large amounts of dust from tires are slowing catching up to me.

At Aid 2, we find the Ladies (Roxy, Megan, and Sarah) waiting for us, bottles and nutrition ready so we can continue rocking the day out on our bikes. We also unexpectedly find Lucas, who's broken his bike. Roxy quickly informs us, we are riding for Lucas since his day is done.

Out bound from Aid 2 we begin an awesome descent. Its also when my lungs decide they've had enough. The next 3 hours would be an exercise in futulity trying to climb up steep climbs while also having a strong painful weezing cough. At Aid 3, I stopped only briefly to top off a bottle eat a gu and roll on. By the time I reached Aid 4, my lungs felt like they are were fire. I also realize what I'm up against for the next few miles between Aid 4 and the Bacon Station.  First a nice steep climb, followed by single track climbing that would make my lungs wish I had called it quits at Aid 2. Unable to get my HR up to do labored breathing, I rode when I could, and pushed the bike when I had too. It seemed to take forever to reach the Bacon Station.  At this point, I'm beginning think I would not finish in under 6 hours. Finally I hear it, someone on the ridge at the Bacon Station has some music blasting. I round the corner and the hard climbing is done.

The next couple miles are a combination of an awesomely technical single track along a narrow ridge, with some more climbing, and a fun forested descent. Before I know it, I'm moving at a good pace again, realizing I will be done in under 6 hours, but by how much I don't know. I begin to rethink the sequence of trail that Rafal and Mark had told me we would have. I start to anticipate the turn onto the final exposed forest road climb. With that climb, I realize that while my lungs are toasted my legs are not, I push my pace as high as my lungs will allow up the climb catching and passing riders in the process.

Photo Credit: Heather Wolff
Finally, the descent. I tell my lungs your done for the day, its time for some flow. I catch several more riders as I make my way down the descent. Brake drag hear, skid there, before I know it I'm already out of the single track and on the gravel road. The gravel road blows by and I'm back on pavement. What seemed like I wouldn't be done in under 6 hours now appears to be a sub 5hr 30. At 5hr 19 minutes I rolled across the line of the 5-0. What a race! My time was good enough for 60th in the mens 30-39 and 132nd overall out of 500.

In all some 20+ nebraskans took part in the race with a great showing from all. All I can say is that I will be back next year eager for another go at the 5-0.

Thanks to Mark for shuttling us out there. Rafal, Ryan, Mark, and Mike, and Bryan for being excellent training partners this year, you guys have really pushed me to excel this year. And thanks to Becky for supporting all my training hours this year.

Now its on to the final couple races of the year. The season is winding down and I'm looking forward to some recovery time!

No comments: