Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Norfolk...Turning the Page





Ok, so I'm still trying to put this weekend into perspective so please bare with me as you read this.

Basically, 4 years ago, I decided to take bike racing more seriously. I was a middle to back of pack cat 2, I rode my bike 2-3 times a week at most and very inconsistently, I hadn't raced on the road since I was 16 and I was about 20-25 pounds overweight. I bought a training plan template, started training regularly (10ish hours a week) and laid out some goals.

Goal 1) race as a cat 1 xc mountain bike racer
Goal 2) cat 3 road racer
Goal 3) win a road race (something I wanted to do as a junior but never did)
Goal 4) win a state champs.

After well I reached goal 1 some time ago but did so without winning...close but always a bridesmaid. Then I won a state championship in cx this last fall. So with a lot of hardwork and the right training compatriots I checked off two goals pretty successfully. However I moved through cat 5 pretty well but did so without winning (mind you I was on a podium a couple of times).

Last year in my first season of cat 4, I struggled the first couple of races to even stay with the group WTF, I really doubted I'd ever progress farther at times and questioned whether I really enjoyed road racing enough to continue doing it. Then a breakthrough last spring in the Norfolk road race where surprisingly I made the final selection of 8 and was able to contest the finishing sprint. In fact I surprised a few guys as well as RF who was there chearing at the line after the cat 3 race mistook me for Mike Miles. From there I seemed to improve lingering just off the podium in each of the remaining races of the year just finishing top 5. All in all I earned some of the 20 upgrade points necessary to reach cat 3, really surprising myself.

For 2012, I entered the year all of a sudden with high expectations. The CX win in the fall showed me I have the ability, I just need the confidence. Then at the Tour De Husker crit, I attacked mid-race only with the intent of taking the 3rd preme. I ended up getting enough of a gap that Greg Hagele and I ended up in a breakaway. With Mike controlling the field Greg and I were free to fly. I jumped him at the end and solo'd home for the win. Another goal and the top step. Surprisingly now very close to cat 3 as well...how the hell did this happen?

2-3 weeks ago I entered the flatwater weekend with high expectations but unfortunately bad positioning in the crit and then too much work early in the circuit race didn't yield the result I had hoped for.

Now...Norfolk...it all seemed to start coming together here 1 year ago.

On Saturday Mike, RF and I rolled up to Maskentine for the XC race. We arrived early, did our pre-ride and felt pretty relaxed. On the race start I had a really good start (5th wheel, even those are improving for me). Race was going well and on lap 3 I was closing the gap back to Ted Lechnowsky when my front tire washed in a high speed corner. My left leg went one way, the bike went another..ouch. I started going again but my knee hurt and I started cramping bad. I dnf'd to do damage control for Sunday (sure enough I was really cramping bad after the race too...so good call).

Sunday rolls around, got a good hotel breakfast in me. RF and I headed to the downtown crit course to watch MM, BR, Shim, Lucas, EOB, and Kgil race the masters race. The boys did MWCC proud. BR helped initiate the breakaway early. Shim bridged. MM, EOB and Lucas controlled the group. Shim the win, BR 3rd. Then EOB and Lucas took the remaining spots in the field sprint.

Shortly after the masters race I started warming up. My Legs felt like utter crap; I was still sore and stiff from the cramps on saturday.  I was really questioning how this would go.

As we staged for the race, I told the legs to shut up, lets see what happens.

Lap 1 Cole led out and I was on his wheel. We opened a little gap on the back stretch but then I flatted coming down the finish straight (theres a hole about the size of a pinhead through the tire casing). BR helped with wheel change and I was back in action. Mike and I took turns chasing down attacks. Anytime I was on the front I mainly just soft pedaled as I really wanted to see who would do what. Leah and Cole took a number of digs which others had to chase while Mike and I just followed anyone who closed down the attack. Solid work. Mid-race, I went for the cash preme and took it pretty easily.

2 laps to go and the pace ramped up. Going into the first corner Dana from flatwater went off the front I moved to the front and chased but didn't want to burn too many matches. The gap lingered by about 20ish feet. Then on the final lap Rich Anderson went in the first corner and I hit full gas. Rich quickly bridged Dana. I looked over my shoulder and Nick Ware and I had a gap on the field. With 2 corners to go it was Rich, Dana, Nick and myself. Through the final turn I was in back watching. Dana accelerated while Nick and Rich faded. I jumped to pull along side and accelerated. I won the race by 0.08 seconds...basically half a wheel length.

Photo credit: Team Kaos


So with that I took the 2012 Nebraska State Championship in Cat 4. I got a second win on the season. And as of yesterday I'm now a Cat 3.
 I've totalled it up and I have over 2000 hours of training/racing including over 90 races in the last 4 years.
Its hard to put into words how it feels to reach all your goals, especially when there are times you do question whether they are really attainable. There's a feeling of relief. At the same time I'm elated to have pulled off everything I layed out for myself.

As I look back and tally the numbers,

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped me get here. Mark, Bryan, Eric, Mike, Rafal, Ryan, Leah, Shim, Kent and everyone else at MWCC you guys have been great to ride and train with. Riding with all of you has made me faster and a smarter racer. Thanks Becky for putting up with all my time spent talking about bikes, training, racing, and travel.

As I close this out...thanks for reading my ramblings...like I said I'm still putting it in perspective. I guess its time to set some new racing goals since goal setting is really the best way to keep pushing forward and improving.

So as I leave this rather long blog post...I'll close out with the lyrics from Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" as covered by Metallica above

On a long and lonesome highway
East of Omaha
You can listen to the engine
Moanin' out his one note song
You can think about the woman
Or the girl you knew the night before
But your thoughts will soon be wandering
The way they always do
When you're ridin' sixteen hours
And there's nothin' much to do
And you don't feel much like ridin',
You just wish the trip was through

Here I am
On the road again
There I am
Up on the stage
Here I go
Playin' star again
There I go
Turn the page

1 comment:

G Houts said...

Nice work, good racing, and great encouragement for the rest of us goal-chasers!