Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Don't forget to turn out the lights...

The Lincoln CX weekend stood as my last weekend of racing for 2010. Going into the weekend, I knew I've been on the steady decline, with each week I can feel my fitness waining. However, I was motivated, not so stellar results the previous Saturday and Sunday at the FoCo New Belgium USGP lefting me wanting some redemption of self-respect going into the short off-season. So with that I felt one I would have to try and do something on both the days.  So here's how it went down.

Saturday:
Mike Miles and I drove to Lnk together. Fricken cold, the weather report lied. I had also forgot my knee warmers. Thankfully an extra layer of embrocation and extra warmup time on the trainer helped prevent me from feeling the cold too much before the course opened for preride.

Preriding I warmed up pretty quick. Late to starting area though and had to stage 3rd row.

Whistle blows, and we start pretty hard. Mike got the hole shot. My legs felt flat and I struggled to make up positions. I'd make one up, give one back. Thats how it mostly went for the next 30 minutes. Finished 14th.

Sunday:
Last chance for redemption. Again, for the second day in a row its fricken cold, the weather report lied. Get to Pioneers and park next to the Omaha peeps. Some Bad Goat Racing boys were in town. There boy Stamper had gotten the win the previous day.  Both were fast so I knew this was going to hurt. Warming up on the trainer and the course I felt much better. The course was going the opposite direction today, so that meant hitting the fast barriers early in the first lap. I was worried about how hard we'd hit them so I took extra care for a few practice runs through them.

Lining up, I was early today and got on the front row. Whistle blew and I had a great start, clipped right in and up to third wheel. Rounding the first turn and into the barriers, sure enough, we hit them at full speed no brakes. That was fast I'm not a good runner let alone sprinter. I managed to keep it upright and maintained my third spot. Back on the bike and back at it, I looked back and saw that we had gapped the field. It took the field the next lap and half to close the gap down. On the second half of the seconda lap I let the chasers rotate through and I found a spot sitting 5th wheel to conserve some energy.

Next lap through again on the second half at the climb back to the road I found myself get unhitched from that group. I maintained the gap and was sitting 8th now. Spent the next lap and half trying to chase Ryan Feagan down. I'd get close then bobble and find myself chasing hard again. Finally got him, pulled through and quickly detached him. I knew Noah had about 15-20 seconds on me and there were 2 to go. Unfortunately as I got up to the runup at hooligan hill I saw Noah had flatted. With that I was 6th overall.  I maintained the gap to ryan for the next 2 laps.

Coming off the grass and back onto the road for the final time I looked over my should and didn't see Ryan. I powered down the descent and into the final straight. Again looking I didn't see Ryan and sat up. That almost lead to big mistake as Ryan was charging hard and almost caught me at the line.

Ah well, 6th overall. That gives me some redemption, I rode a good race. I made the entire race hurt. My legs continually begged for me to slow. Every descent to the finish line I put my head down and hammered.

The wrapup
So with that. I posted some photos on flickr if you haven't seen them...well check em out, there's a couple of fav's of mine shown below.

_MG_9481
Rafal the Polish Big Bird


_MG_9568
MT Chasing, The classic aged poster look
_MG_9490
Warming up the legs


_MG_9514
The discerning hobo is a winner!
So in closing. It's been a stellar season. CX was more fun that I really thought it would be. I'll be back in 2011 for sure. 2010 is closed out for good now. Time for some R&R before turning the screws on 2011. Look for a season in review soon and probably a blog post about the USGP in the near future.

And for now, its been fun racing with everyone. Whoever's still in the room, since your the last one here...all I ask is that you turn out the lights.

Cheers,
J

No comments: